The Bento Poetic License
The intent of this document is to state the conditions under which a
Package may be copied, such that the Copyright Holder maintains control
over the Language Specification which the Package implements, while
while giving the users of the Package the right to use and distribute
the Package in any fashion, including the right to make any modifications
that do not contradict the Language Specification.
- "Package" refers to the collection of files distributed by the
Copyright Holder, and derivatives of that collection of files
created through textual modification.
- "Language" refers to the computer language which the Package
- "Language Specification" refers to the grammar and normative
documentation which defines the Language.
- "Copyright Holder" is whoever is named in the copyright or
copyrights for the Package.
- "You" is you, if you're thinking about copying or distributing
- "Contradict the Language Specification" means to modify the
Package in such a way that a user wishing to access one or more
features of the Package would have no choice but to write code
which is illegal according to the Language Specification.
Failure to comply with the Language Specification is NOT the
same as contradicting the Language Specification. The Language
Specification represents a target, and every implementation
is a work in progress. You are not required to ensure that legal
code works, only that illegal code fails.
Failure to keep up with the Language Specification is NOT the
same as contradicting the Language Specification. Code which is
legal for any version of the Language Specification, even if it
is illegal in a newer version, is not considered illegal.
Adding requirements is NOT the same as contradicting the Language
Specification. Code that requires a custom implementation or the
presence of specific libraries, files, devices or other resources
to work properly is not considered illegal.
1. You may make and give away verbatim copies of the source form of the
Package without restriction, provided that you duplicate all of the original
copyright notices and associated disclaimers.
2. You may modify the Package in any manner which does not contradict
the Language Specification, except that you may not remove copyright notices
or disclaimers from the source files.
3. You may modify the Package in a manner which contradicts the Language
Specification, provided that you retain all copyright notices and
disclaimers, and provided that you do at least ONE of the
a) remove all claims of compatibility with or support for the Language
from the Package and all documents and materials you distribute with the
Package, include a clear description of how the modified Package
contradicts the Language Specification, and rename all modified classes
and files so the names do not conflict with the original classes and
b) use the modified Package only within your corporation or organization.
c) make other distribution arrangements with the Copyright Holder.
4. The files supplied as input to or produced as output from the
programs of this Package do not automatically fall under the copyright
of this Package, but belong to whomever generated them. Any such files
which were generated by the Copyright Holders and are included with this
do fall under the copyright of this Package.
5. The name of the Copyright Holder may not be used to endorse or promote
products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
6. THIS PACKAGE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.